Monday, February 13, 2012

Unemployment: Young & Old

Just a sneak peek on some data I am working on this week. Looking at unemployment across various age groups.

This is from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (seasonally adjusted) unemployment rate for each month for some select age groups since 2007. Why 2007? Well I wanted to have a good idea of where we were before the recession and where we are now. I don't think it's a secret younger people have a higher rate of unemployment. But it's interesting how it takes until age 35 for the ages to start nearing each other in unemployment rates. Could that have something to do with the way the government counts the unemployment rate or is it because younger, less experienced workers genuinely have a harder time finding employment? I plan to see if I can illuminate that a bit this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment